BNSF is one of North America’s leading freight transportation companies, operating in 28 states and two Canadian provinces. BNSF offers shipping services over one of the largest rail networks in North America, and contributes to the economy in massive ways.
“Informatica has helped us control risk – the risk of losing customers, the risk of runaway costs, the risk of losing strategic advantage – all by unlocking our valuable operational data and making it available throughout the enterprise.”
- As the pace of business has increased, BNSF customers came to expect real-time accountability and internal teams needed accurate data to make informed, timely decisions.
- The company needed to reduce operational costs.
- Customers expect real-time accountability and internal teams require accurate data to make informed, timely decisions.
- Extraneous mainframe cycles were driving up costs.
- The data critical for running BNSF’s business was locked in its transportation application, and had to be ported to a data warehouse for use by customer-facing systems.
- Provided executives, customer service representatives, and business managers with near real-time access to critical network-wide operational data, through integration of multiple systems and data types.
- Enabled customers to manage their shipments through BNSF’s online self-service functions—not through the resource-intensive call center.
- Allowed hundreds of reports to be run against the data, and customers can customize their own shipping reports.
- Gave BNSF customers continuous online access to shipments status, accurate to within a 15-minute window.
- Cut operational costs by 30%, by offloading legacy mainframes.
- Used operational data store for other applications, such as traffic flow analysis and schedule management.