UNC Health is a not-for-profit integrated health care system owned by the state of North Carolina and based in Chapel Hill. Originally established Nov. 1, 1998, by N.C.G.S. 116-37, UNC Health currently comprises UNC Hospitals and its provider network, the clinical programs of the UNC School of Medicine, and 12 affiliate hospitals and hospital systems across the state.
- Enable self-service analytics for executives and business users
- Embrace a community analytics model
- Develop a comprehensive data stewardship framework
- Bring awareness of patient screening results for COVID-19 and the demand for medical resource needs to aid executive decision-making
- Promote data literacy, data utilization, and data quality throughout the organization
- Empower employees and partners to promote UNC Health’s mission and vision by effectively managing patient and health care data as an asset
Solutions & Results
- Build a new data warehouse using SAP HANA called the Carolina Data Warehouse for Health 3.0 to provide data for analytics and executive dashboards
- Catalog data assets with Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog, integrating with Empower to make cataloged data available
- Empower and EDC provides support for business users to find information and metrics, ask questions about patient and health care data assets, and improve patient care and analytics maturity.
- Use Informatica Axon Data Governance, rebranded as Empower, to give users a collaborative, shared view of data assets
- Delivered the first executive dashboard in a weekend, enabling the health system to begin to assess and manage resources for the COVID-19 pandemic. Ten other dashboards were released within two weeks
- Allows data analysts, developers, and architects to view health care data to easily understand data lineage and expedite impact analysis