Over the past 20 years, Informatica PowerCenter® has served as a trusted enterprise platform for on-premises data integration and management initiatives such as data warehouses, data analytics, data governance, master data management, and more. But to stay competitive in today’s digital economy, organizations know they need the power, agility, and scalability of the cloud.
To get the most value as you modernize your infrastructure to the cloud—such as moving to an Amazon Redshift, Microsoft Azure Synapse, Google BigQuery, or Snowflake data warehouse—you need to take an approach that ensures simplicity, productivity, and scale.
The Need to Meet Modern Cloud Data Integration Requirements
As popular as PowerCenter® is, it is not optimized to meet modern cloud data integration requirements such as:
- Support for modern cloud data lake and data warehouse design principals
- Support for cloud agility, which enables
- Faster time to market
- Flexibility in the choice of execution environments
- Adaptive auto-scaling
- Seamless multi-cloud, hybrid cloud integration patterns
An interim solution, such as repointing PowerCenter to the cloud, may seem to be an easy fix. However, this scenario comes with its own challenges, including:
- Migration project cost overruns and higher production costs
- Difficulty in optimizing for performance and cost efficiency
- Longer development times, lower productivity, and delays in time to value
- Difficult, labor-intensive processes to change code and increased maintenance overhead
- Higher risk, more workarounds, more upgrades, and brittle integration
Why Modernize from PowerCenter to IICS
To move to the cloud faster and more securely, Informatica offers the industry’s most comprehensive and flexible cloud data warehouse modernization solution for PowerCenter. It includes:
- Informatica Intelligent Cloud Services (IICS), the most comprehensive, microservices-based, API-driven, and AI-powered enterprise integration platform as a service (eiPaaS)
- The Informatica Intelligent Migration Factory®, which combines tools with proven migration processes inspired by best practices
The Informatica Intelligent Migration Factory analyzes PowerCenter for thousands of mappings, sessions, and workflows. It provides an estimate of the work required to migrate and modernize your mappings and builds the foundation for developing a thorough migration plan. Based on many real-world customer engagements, the Migration Factory automatically converts many PowerCenter assets to IICS.
Unlike PowerCenter, IICS is optimized for modern cloud data integration, delivering a range of benefits as outlined in Figure 1.
Such a migration initiative may sound difficult initially, but by following the best practices of the Migration Factory, you can make your cloud journey a very successful one.
To learn more about how to migrate data management environments from PowerCenter to the cloud with a proven 10-step migration methodology—and to get checklists and enablement guidelines—read our white paper, “Best Practices for Migrating from PowerCenter to the Cloud for Analytics and Data Warehouse Modernization.”