Transaction Data Goes Big
In the past three decades, the traditional world of transactional systems has seen innovation in two ways: the optimization of OLTP databases for transaction processing and the specialization of analytic databases for analytic processing.
- The goal of the OLTP database has been to cost-effectively capture more data in less time. Over the past 25 years, we have witnessed five orders of magnitude improvement in price-performance. Meanwhile the combination of innovations in hardware and database software has dramatically reduced transaction processing costs by an incredible 100,000 fold.
- The goal of the analytic database has been to cost-effectively deliver better analysis in less time. Over the past 25 years, we have witnessed six orders of magnitude improvement in price-performance. Innovations in database software, hardware and storage have reduced the costs of data warehousing by a million fold.
However, these innovations are not keeping up with the growth of transactional data:
- Applications that once held megabytes of data have swollen to petabytes and zetabytes. Business requirements demand that data be stored for longer.
- Speed of access is increasing and the need for lower latency is pushing technology to its limits.
- Enterprises are moving transaction data to the cloud as the next wave of cost-effective transaction-based applications move from “buy” to “rent.” Modern enterprises are now hybrid enterprises that process data both within the enterprise and beyond the enterprise in the cloud.
Is your organization prepared to manage this onslaught of Big Transaction Data cost-effectively and without degrading operational performance? Can you integrate transaction data both within your enterprise and in the internet cloud? Are you able to capitalize on Big Data business opportunities by integrating transactional information with social media and other types of big interaction data?
The Informatica Platform helps you maximize your return on all this data by increasing the value of data and lowering the cost of data – whether on-premise or in the cloud.
- Informatica Data Archive can help your IT organization manage increasing data volumes in production environments by safely archiving application data and data warehouses, preserving easy access to the data as needed.
- Informatica Data Subset enables you to shrink your data footprint by creating smaller, targeted databases from large, complex databases of either production or nonproduction data.
With these innovations, you can strategically manage Big Transaction Data growth, help ensure that application performance meets service-level agreements, and slash storage and maintenance costs. Informatica technology also enables you to export transactional data into Hadoop to take advantage of its low-cost storage capacity.
Managing Big Transaction Data in the Hybrid Enterprise
Increasing volumes of transaction data are now being moved off-premise into the internet cloud. Applications such as salesforce.com (for CRM), Netsuite (for ERP) or Workday (for HR) are being deployed by enterprises. These transaction systems need to be integrated with enterprise on-premise applications.
- Informatica Cloud Data Integration enables the hybrid enterprise by enabling the data integration of cloud applications with other cloud applications, and cloud applications with on-premise applications.
Meeting Big Data Velocity Requirements
Growing data volumes and low latency requirements can push the limits of hardware and network resources, introducing the risk of downtime. Companies in the financial markets and other industries facing high transaction and data volumes need new levels of efficiency to process more Big Transaction Data faster.
- Informatica Ultra Messaging products enable ultra low latency messaging and highly efficient systems that reduce hardware infrastructure cost, supporting several million messages a second and latency in microseconds or nanoseconds.
- Informatica Complex Event Processing supplies real-time monitoring and alerting of data quality and integration processes, alerting you to issues before they can escalate.
Breakthrough Insights from Big Data
The business value of Big Transaction Data increases when it’s combined with social media, or other types of Big Interaction data. Integrating all types of Big Data enables insights that are not otherwise possible - in such areas as customer relationship management, churn analysis, and product defect tracking.
As an example, leading organizations are enriching their single view of customer with information from social networks. In this way, they are achieving new insights into customer preferences and behavior that is invaluable for personalized one-to-one marketing and sentiment analysis. The Informatica Platform is the enabling technology that helps you to combine social interaction data with enterprise transaction data and gain these insights.
- Informatica enables interoperability between traditional transaction data and new big data processing technologies such as Hadoop in a hybrid model that experts such as Ralph Kimball believe will dominate. “In many cases, the two architectures will not exist as separate islands but rather will have rich data pipelines going in both directions,” Kimball said in an in-depth white paper. 2
Informatica for Big Transaction Data
Informatica enables enterprises to maximize their return on big transaction data by increasing the value of transaction data while lowering the cost to manage and maintain it. The Informatica Platform allows you to effectively manage the growth of Big Transaction data and ensure that it is securely delivered throughout the enterprise when, where, and how it's needed. With Informatica, you can:
- Effectively manage the growth of transaction data
- Deliver high volumes of transaction data at any latency, even down to microseconds or nanoseconds
- Control transaction data in the cloud
- Ensure security of personal and confidential transactional data
- Integrate all transaction data whether on premise or in the internet cloud