Lean Data Management is a system that aligns business and IT around a common set of principles and practices to ultimately achieve two things: lower costs and faster delivery. It enables sales, marketing, finance, customer service, manufacturing, R&D, and operations to coordinate efforts and derive value from a wide spectrum of information value chains across the enterprise.
Lean Data Management takes many forms, which the following examples illustrate:
- Defining business rules to systematically archive closed transactions on a regular basis to achieve zero production data growth in on-line transaction processing applications.
- Checking data entries against a trustworthy master to prevent duplicate data at creation.
- Cleansing data at creation to ensure its form is compatible with downstream processes.
Lean Data Warehouses:
- Responding rapidly to new business analytics needs with lean and agile data self-service profiling and mapping tools for business analysts.
- Analyzing usage of production data warehouses to determine what end users are querying and systematically removing data or reports that are no longer useful.
- Moving infrequently-used-but-valuable data to lower-cost storage.
Lean Application Portfolios:
- Eliminating complexity and reducing costs by evaluating the entire application portfolio and removing obsolete or redundant applications.
- Archiving legacy data into an optimized archive store before decommissioning the associated applications. This lean data management tactic ensures ongoing, on-line access to the legacy application data for reporting and compliance purposes.
- Establishing retention data management policies to ensure that eligible data is destroyed in accordance with company policies, industry regulations, or sovereign laws.
Lean Data Management is achieved through the right mix of people, processes, policies, and technology. Designed to increase business agility, the Informatica solution for Lean Data Management combines the Informatica Platform, Informatica Professional Services, and partner service offerings to deliver a total solution.