So even though enterprises can run petabyte-scale data warehouses, they’re limited by their analytic platforms, which aren’t suited for the scale and complexity—the variety—of big data.
More important, while Hadoop enables a paradigm shift—exponentially increasing the predictive intelligence of industries ranging from ecommerce to healthcare and beyond—the complexity of running Hadoop is often daunting. In fact, only about 30 percent of companies investing in big data have projects deployed.2
What to look for
When evaluating technology for big data, look for solutions that:
- Leverage existing talent: Hadoop is really hard, but the benefits far outweigh the risks if you select the right technology partners. Look for products that maximize your existing IT skillsets.
- Are ready for tomorrow: Make sure your solution doesn’t require you to recode integrations with every platform or application change.
- Provide comprehensive functionality: Look for solutions that handle the full range of needs—from accessing and integrating, cleansing and profiling, to matching and linking data.
- Play nice with everybody: Make sure your solution can access data from new and legacy sources. And that it uses the full power of Hadoop without inadvertently impacting other Hadoop jobs.
The dirty little secret about Hadoop is that it’s really, really hard to operationalize. Informatica Big Data products simplify Hadoop complexity by:
- Providing a single, scalable platform that works with traditional data warehouses, cloud-based data, and new types of data from social media and sensor devices.
- Giving your existing Informatica-certified developers a familiar tool that makes it easy for them to use Hadoop without learning Hadoop.
- Delivering a comprehensive solution from the leader and pioneer in data integration, data quality, and data security.
1 The Digital Universe of Opportunities, EMC Digital Universe, IDC, http://www.emc.com/collateral/analyst-reports/idc-digital-universe-2014.pdf
2 Survey Analysis: Big Data Investment Grows but Deployments Remain Scarce in 2014, 9 September 2014, Gartner