Traditional security needs data-centric security
The implications and costs of security breaches are front-page news and encompass everything from loss of jobs, to loss of revenue, to PR nightmares. As the volume and proliferation of data—from cloud to mobile to social to machine—continues to grow, traditional security approaches no longer deliver safe harbor for sensitive data.
As attacks become more persistent and sophisticated, traditional security measures will be breached—and it is not "if," but "when." When that happens, additional safeguards are needed for protecting sensitive information. And you can’t protect data if you don’t know where it is. According to a recent Ponemon Institute report, only 17 percent of IT practitioners know where their company’s sensitive structured data is located. Only 7 percent know where their unstructured data resides.1
While the exponential increase in the volume and proliferation of data creates significant risk, companies that focus on securing the data itself will triumph in the fight for data security.
What to look for
When choosing a data security solution, look for the following attributes:
- Accessible: Make sure your solution can access data wherever it is, whether it’s in new data channels, your mainframe, or your line-of-business application. With the ever-growing data volume and variety, sensitive data must be protected and understood, regardless of its origin.
- Unintrusive: Solutions should work within existing architectures and not require changes to proven and reliable databases and applications.
- Deployment-agnostic: Your solution should have the ability to access a wide variety of deployment models, from big data to cloud to on-premises to hybrid ecosystems.
- Technology-agnostic: Whether you’re using a legacy system or state-of-the-art innovation, your solution shouldn't require a change in applications and databases to align with the newest technology.
- Adaptable: You want a platform that can handle a wide variety of use cases—from blocking access to fine-grain control—with a single approach.
A recognized leader in data security and archive technology, Informatica keeps data safe and secure throughout the data lifecycle—from development to production through retirement. These solutions leverage a technology/platform-agnostic view, compatible with the complex, heterogeneous data environments of a modern enterprise. We organize our offerings into three categories:
- Those that enable data-centric security
- Those that support test data management
- Those that archive data.
Underlying our software is our belief in data-centric security. By securing the data at its source, you can minimize risk throughout your business and protect data as it moves across your organization, in and out of applications, wherever the data is consumed by the business or shared with business partners.
By defining, analyzing, and protecting sensitive data at its source, Informatica helps ensure that your data is secure before it proliferates throughout your organization.
1 "The State of Data Centric Security," Ponemon Institute, sponsored by Informatica, June 2014.