Overcome the High Failure Rate of Data Migration Projects
Gartner has reported that 80 percent of data migration projects fail to meet expectations, running over time and budget. This is in large part due to common misconceptions about the migration data, including electronic health record data: it complies with a standardized format; users have captured it in expected fields; and it's all valid and of high quality. But the reality is, complex patient, member, and provider data exist in various formats, anticipated data is missing, and data quality is inconsistent.
When healthcare organizations hand-code or write one-off processes to migrate legacy data from electronic health records and applications, they are doing so to move millions of pieces of data, likely spot-checking only a small subset. As a result, data are moved into a new application with minimal review.
The Informatica Solution for Healthcare Data Migration
The Information solution for healthcare data migration directly eliminates the most common sources of project risk—areas that have traditionally led data migration efforts to fail or significantly overrun their budget and schedule. The solution enables healthcare organizations to migrate data, including electronic health record data, with complete transparency and confidence.
Rather than managing risk by limiting the volume of migrated data, the solution allows you to choose which data to migrate based on the data’s value in the new application.
With this solution, you can:
- Achieve a stellar success rate in data migration projects
- Ensure availability of all historical data in new applications, including electronic health record data
- Execute rapidly and lower the cost of data migration
- Migrate data based on its value, not on risk of failure
- Eliminate surprises during acceptance testing
Key Capabilities of Healthcare Data Migration
Unlike competing offerings, the Informatica solution for healthcare data migration supports connected and coordinated care delivery. It ensures end users have the data they expect in a new application, including electronic health record data, despite application vendor’s reluctance to migrate data due to complexity.
With this solution, migrating data from source to target entails not only moving it physically from one system to another but also verifying that the migrated data is identical to that of the source. Traceability and error recovery ensure that data is neither lost nor duplicated. Industry-leading tools support this process to enable repeatability and reusability and foster collaboration between the business/clinicians and IT.
Based on a single, comprehensive platform, the Informatica solution for healthcare data migration features these capabilities:
- Automated certification of each clinical and administrative transaction
- Data quality and data migration scorecards that are easy to interpret
- Rapid customization in support of HL7 message formatting
- Checking of duplicate electronic health record data
- Connectivity with electronic health record and claims management applications
- Anomaly identification (e.g., a driver’s license number in a phone number field)
- Clinical and administrative data discovery and profiling
- Velocity implementation methodology for migrating complex clinical and administrative data